Sunday, February 14, 2010

A better world? Get rid of the lawyers (from Saturday February 6, 2010)

I received a letter yesterday. I'd just as soon not go into details but it involves a minor accident of 2 years ago. It was a low-speed collision with no injuries. I had thought it was over and done once I handed it off to my insurance company. I had all but forgotten the whole incident until I received a letter from my claims agent saying it had not yet been resolved. Obviously "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe" got involved.

When the latest recession hit with heavy job losses and unemployment reaching levels not seeen in decades I sensed a forboding shift coming. We are in a very litigious society already. Much of our population feels they deserve a grand lifestyle. If they have to take it away from the person who earned it then so be it. Just think how much cheaper insurance would be without lawyers, and yes that includes health insurance.

I remember well an incident that happened on a Sunday in August 12 years ago. Well, the incident I don't really remember because on Monday I didn't remember it or anything else that happened that Sunday. Severe concussions are kind of funny that way. By the accounts given by others present I was riding my bike with a club, just a regular weekend club ride. Someone's dog got out and into my wheels. Flipping over at 25mph or so can be a real headache...literally.

The other riders scooped me up and took me to a clinic to be checked out. When I contacted the dog's owner he would not talk to me other than to give me his insurance adjuster's name and number. That's fine. The insurance guy asked me how I knew it was his client's dog that caused the crash I told him one of the other riders was a lawyer so I guess he knew what information to collect. That was a complete truth. They paid my bills and gave me a few extra bucks for my trouble, probably a thank you for not suing as well.

A few people said "I would have sued him!" or something to that effect. They probably would have. Maybe I was not raised that way, or perhaps I formed my odd ways in some other fashion. Whatever the case I felt, and still feel, that would have been wrong. Sure there was a degree of negligence on the part of the pet owner but there is a reason they are called accidents. If there were evidence of malicious intent there my choices would have been different. I saw none.

Yes I was in pain. Severe concussion, sprained shoulder, bruised ribs and numerous examples of road rash. Weeks of pain. And when you wake up one day, go about your business and the next thing you know you are waking up wrapped up in bandages at the home of a family member...That can be a little bit unsettling.

What did I ask for. I wanted them to pay. My medical bills, repairs to my bike and a new helmet (you can only use them once). I didn't wantto make out like a bandit on the deal. I wanted to put this behind me and move on with my life. It is pretty hard to live a life without pain. Pain is a part of life.

In reality, this guy wasn't hurt, at least not from the collision. He slipped on the ice walking around while waiting for the police to arrive. That is a far more likely scenario. My airbag didn't deploy, no body damage to my truck, just a headlight and a new tinfoil bumper.

Still, it comes down to the lawyers. They have a business to run and their service is litigation. That is the ugly side of capitalism. Their service is to try take what someone else earned and give it to you, and take a piece of it for theirselves of course.

...Sue you later
ME

No comments:

Post a Comment