Monday, October 11, 2010

Back to the old grind...

Vacation is over and I must return to work tomorrow. In rare form I was pretty busy for most of my time off. It started with a cancelled ride. The Great Indy donut ride was set to kick off my vacation but the first real rain in months had to fall on that particular Saturday morning. Disappointing, but maybe it will be rescheduled. So I hit the road.

Sunday:
I drove to Evansville to spend a few days. A big part of that was the Great Pumpkin Metric, a bicycle tour I have enjoyed many times over the years. I first rode the GPM in 1985, on my ten-speed bike. Since then I have graduated from the 50k (about 31 miles) to the 100k (about 62 miles). It was particularly brutal this year because it was cold (high around 60°) and VERY windy. I chose to ride the same old 10-speed from my first GPM, though it has been through a number of changes since 1985. I enjoyed the 66 mile ride but was worn out. I didn't manage to warm up until I finally got into a hot shower.

Monday:
A short ride around Newburgh, about 14 miles. This terrain I rode many times as a kid but his time I was much heavier and still a bit fatigued from the previous day's riding. Then I tagged along with a friend and his family to check out the West side Nut Club Fall Festival. Pretty much the same as I remember this annual event. Mostly an event to eat the typical fair-type foods like corn dogs, monster ears and fried (insert item here).

Tuesday:
I finally got around to replacing the front brakes on my truck. I have been planning to do it for about a year now. As it turns out, I could have waited. 105,000 miles on the truck and the pads were barely more than half worn. It was an easy job though.

Wednesday:
Drove back home. I didn't really do much that day but I didn't feel like i really got a chance to relax yet.

Thursday:
I went over to a friend's house. I had obligated myself to help him with a repair project on his truck. That project ended up taking the whole day just to take it apart.

Friday:
Replace the lower intake manifold gaskets and reassembly of the various parts. Most of the day is gone.

Saturday:
I took my Cannondale down to Elletsville for Day 1 of the Hilly Hundred. 57 miles of riding with about 5000 other people on rural roads. Unlike the previous weekend's ride, the weather was terrific. Some tough hills but I made it through with no troubles. Saw a few people I know along the way and some great scenery. I should have taken more pictures...maybe next year.

Sunday:
Returned to Elletsville for Hilly Hundred Day 2. I had far less trouble on this day than I expected. This time I was back on the old 10-speed. It is much heavier than the Cannondale but I have a big 1st gear on it, good for climbing hills. I used it several times, especially on Mt. Tabor. That is the one hill I don't think I could have climbed on the other bike. It was a great ride and I still felt pretty good afterward.

Monday:
I was a little sore, a light fatigue, from the weekend. I had some chores I needed to do but chose instead to have a day of relaxation. I didn't do a thing, except started a pot of chili. It will stew over the night in the crock-pot and be really good and thick in the morning. It should be quite tasty.

I am already looking forward to the Hilly Hundred for next year. I just might try to actually train for it next time around...

ME

No comments:

Post a Comment