Sunday, April 11, 2010

When was the last time you cried?

That was the question a friend asked me a few years ago. I honestly cannot remember. It was quite a long time ago, perhaps in childhood. She seemed to think there was something wrong with that. I hadn't really given it much thought. I have wondered what brought that question up. I don't recall whether I asked her, though I likely did without receiving an answer.

The fact of the matter is, I doubt I have the ability to cry. It is not in my nature. We all react differently to stress. Women usually are more likely to cry, though I have known men who cried as well. I make no judgements on that. I just don't do it.

I suppose I just developed a thick skin while growing up. Perhaps I never felt any better after crying so it just fell by the wayside. Mostly I am not given to emotional display. What I feel may not be apparent to those around me.

So what would it take to make me cry? I honestly do not know. I have been through the loss of good friends, one through death, job loss, lost love, etc... and they didn't bring me to tears. Is this heaalthy? Some say no and I don't know. Maybe it depends upon the individual.

So, when did you last cry...and why?

1 comment:

  1. Strangely enough, this is something Kristin and I have discussed at length about our family.

    It seems that none of us Emge's, as far as I can tell, are very outwardly emotional at all. Maybe you would disagree, but at least for Kristin and I, we feel like it's something that was just ingrained in us by observing everyone else, and thus we both held to the behavior ourselves.

    Maybe it was similar for you. Maybe it's something else entirely. But I can certainly understand your side of things.

    ReplyDelete