Friday, February 19, 2010

Winter

I have been enoying this winter somewhat. It hasn't been too bad here on the northwest side. It seems like every winter that a storm comes through, the worst of it passes either to the north or south of here. That is good for me though.

My truck is a 4X2. My tires were pretty worn and I had picked up a nasty shimmy from one of them (a bad belt in a front tire). When I replaced them I went with a pair of billy-bob (i.e. all-terrain) tires. My drive to work is much longer on the new job and I didn't want to miss any work if I could avoid it. I'd say it was a worthwhile investment.

I am ready for spring though. Every year I tell myself "I need to get out on the bike more this year." I did get out a little more last year but not enough. I suffered through the Hilly Hundred and the Great Pumpkin Metric's 100k. The distance wasn't bad but the hills were killing me. Maybe one of these years I will actually train for these rides. Maybe this year...

That does partly depend on the job. I signed onto a machine that doesn't work as much overtime as the others, we don't even run every day during the week. Recently I learned we got some big new contracts, product that will be run on my machine. That tells me I might be in for more OT this year.

I can't complain though. It is better that my machine is utilized more. An under-utilized piece of equipment is at risk of being discarded. So more work should mean more security. I really just need to use my personal time better.

This job is a big improvement over the last. Better management, better people and a greater product mix (more than one customer). It is unfortunate they have picked so many from the other place but I think those people will shape up or they will not be around too long. The managers here mean business.

I am ready for spring. I have a lot I want to do this year and am looking for the chance to kick it into gear. I'd like to conquer "the Three Sisters" and "Cemetery Hill" this year without the struggles of last year.

...for now I'll just enjoy the weather we've got.

ME

No comments:

Post a Comment