Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Return of the Great Pumpkin

This past Sunday I participated in The Great Pumpkin Metric Bicycle Tour for the 15th time.  It was a great ride.  I remember the first time, back in 1985, when I was new to the organized tour scene.  Back then 50k (31 miles) seemed like a long ride.  I rode hard that day and was exhausted after I finished the ride.

More recently was the year when the temperature was up in the 90's, a bit hot for October.  Another year the high was in the mid 50's and windy.  I was probably more exhausted after that one than any other ride I have taken.  It also took me hours to warm up after that.

This year the weather was perfect, the best I can remember.  High in the mid 70's, calm and sunny.  I don't know if I am in better shape now than in the past or if it's due to the newer and lighter bike, but it was definitely the easiest that ride has ever been for me.  I believe it was a combination of the two.  My average speed wasn't really faster than in previous years, but the hills, even the worst ones, weren't as painful.  The real test is coming up...the Hilly Hundred.  100 miles over two days with some nasty hills.  Fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment